July 26, 2022

(Re-)Meet the Staff: Kai Herzog-Hara

While we are all familiar with the wonderful Kai Herzog-Hara (former Undergraduate Secretary), we thought it would be fun to re-introduce her in the blog as she has just taken the position of Graduate Office and Departmental Officer Assistant! Kai was able to fit in an interview with What's Happening in Toronto Linguistics where we go to learn much more about her! 



How are you liking your new position so far?

I like it a lot! I get to know a different side of the department which is great! I’m still learning the new parts of the job, but I really like it so far. 

Why did you decide to switch from undergrad admin to grad admin?

I really enjoyed working as the undergrad admin. I loved being able to help students plan and organize themselves to help them achieve their goals. When this position opened up, the department thought it would be a good idea for someone who already knew the department to take over. As I already had the experience of working as an undergrad admin, it just makes sense for me to take on this new role. 

When you finished your undergrad at UofT (in linguistics), why did you decide to work on the administration side of the department? 

During undergrad, I worked in Sali Tagliamonte’s (Faculty) lab and while I really liked it, I wasn't ready to go further into graduate school. I needed more time to get myself organized and manage my mental health. When the undergrad admin position opened up, Sali brought it to my attention, and again, it just made sense for me to apply

What is your favourite thing about working in the linguistic department? 

My favourite thing is being able to help students in the ways that I can. In undergrad, I majored in psychology and linguistics and I feel like both subjects are relevant to my work. I enjoy being able to help people achieve their goals! 

What was the most memorable moment from your time as an undergraduate student in the department?

I don’t have an exact moment. I would say the most memorable thing was the community. It was in my second year when I first felt that. The department has a really strong sense of community and that has to be the most memorable aspect.

Do you have any hobbies / secret passions?

Haha does Netflix count? In all seriousness, I do enjoy embroidery! I started during undergrad when some of my friends from back home (Ottawa) wanted to make matching sweaters. It was a cool thing for us to do all together. I will still embroider shirts and sweaters but now I do more patches. The motion is easier on patches. My least favourite part is finishing the edges to make it look nice, I have yet to complete one that I am happy with but it’s coming! I do like to have ​tv or movies on in the background. Currently, I am committed to a Marvel Universe binge. I made a bet that I would do it and now I’m stuck. At least I can embroider while they are playing! 




What is the best-kept secret in Toronto?

There are not many secrets in Toronto! But I do love going to parks around Toronto. Bickford Park might be a favourite because it's not exposed to the busyness of Bloor Street but is still so central. When someone is visiting or is new to Toronto, I take them to Toronto Island because it is great to explore! Some spots have more greenery and are great for a picnic while other spots are beautiful beaches. Plus, there is an amazing view of the Toronto shoreline you can see while on the ferry.

What is your favourite spot on campus?

When I was an undergrad, I would say it would be the top floor of Myhal for studying and the Cat’s Eye for socializing. I was a Victoria College student, so I spent a lot of time there. Now I’m in my Office (Fourth Floor of Sidney Smith) and I don’t get to move locations too much. In Autumn, I love going to Queen’s Park as it is beautiful at that time of year.

What is your dream travel destination? 

Oh, that is a lot to think about! I would love to go to Melbourne to visit friends! It’s far and it seems like a really good place. But my dream travel destination would depend on who I’m going with and what the purpose is. I like a resort vacation ​just as much as I like to go out and seeing things. Overall, I just need friends and sunshine and I’m happy. That's probably why I like bringing people to Toronto Island!


We would like to thank Kai for participating in an interview! It was great getting to know her some more! We will be waiting to see more of your fun embroidery! 

No comments:

Post a Comment